WOW-We have a sky 'Happening' tonight! First of all, the April Full Moon is referred to as the Pink Moon in the Farmer's Almanac (as you will see below). Next, the moon becomes a Blood Moon as the full eclipse occurs. There is nothing to be afraid of and all info is below to bring you up to speed on the 4 eclipses in a row. I just checked outside and the moon is in the sky ready for the eclipse. Check your location and you may be able to see this event. Get your cameras out as this is somewhat of a rare occurrence. Your photostudy is of tonight's rising moon with Mars visible. Enjoy!
- January: "Wolf Moon" (this is the name of December in Beard 1918) also "Old Moon"
- February: "Snow Moon", also "Hunger Moon"
- March: "Worm Moon", "Crow Moon", "Sap Moon", "Lenten Moon"
- April: "Seed Moon", "Pink Moon", "Sprouting Grass Moon", "Egg Moon" (c.f. "Goose-Egg" in Beard 1918), "Fish Moon"
- May: "Milk Moon", "Flower Moon", "Corn Planting Moon"
- June: "Mead Moon", "Strawberry Moon" (c.f. Beard 1918), "Rose Moon", "Thunder Moon"
- July: "Hay Moon", "Buck Moon", "Thunder Moon"
- August: "Corn Moon", "Sturgeon Moon", "Red Moon", "Green Corn Moon", "Grain Moon"
- September: "Harvest Moon", "Full Corn Moon",
- October: "Hunter's Moon", "Blood Moon"/"Sanguine Moon"
- November: "Beaver Moon", "Frosty Moon"
- December: "Oak Moon", "Cold Moon", "Long Nights Moon"
April 2014 lunar eclipse
|Total lunar eclipse|
April 15, 2014
The moon passes right to left through the Earth's shadow
The lunar eclipse will occur in the constellation Virgo, near the star spica with the planet Mars near, slightly west on theecliptic.
The following pics are the same as above. They have been treated with the 'Heat Map' effect in Picasa editing tools. It will show the detail of the moon and give you an idea of what the moon would look like in the shade of red!
...this is brendasue signing off from Rainbow Creek. See You next time!