Welcome To Rainbow Creek!
In just a few days things have changed around here due to the extreme heat (over 100) and no rain. The trees that were holding on at the end of July are now in serious trouble and beginning to die. This part of Texas has been experiencing drought for several years now with no relief in sight. Your infostudy tonight is on drought. (This is an excerpt and You will need to visit the Wikipedia link for the complete article). Also, use your Google Search Box for information on your location. (Example below):
2 Entries from the Google Index for search: Texas Drought:
Consequences[edit source | edit]
- Diminished crop growth or yield productions and carrying capacity for livestock
- Dust bowls, themselves a sign of erosion, which further erode the landscape
- Dust storms, when drought hits an area suffering from desertification and erosion
- Famine due to lack of water for irrigation
- Habitat damage, affecting both terrestrial and aquatic wildlife
- Hunger, drought provides too little water to support food crops.
- Malnutrition, dehydration and related diseases
- Mass migration, resulting in internal displacement and international refugees
- Reduced electricity production due to reduced water flow through hydroelectric dams
- Shortages of water for industrial users
- Snake migration and increases in snakebites
- Social unrest
- War over natural resources, including water and food
- Wildfires, such as Australian bushfires, are more common during times of drought.
These are the tops of my tall trees, the Post Oaks and Red Oaks (old growth).
They are shedding their leaves and dead branches are increasing.
This is Rainbow Creek, dried all the way across as Fat Sissy will show:
Look who is hiding on the creek! It is the Kite!
My backyard in Heat Map Effect (Picasa)
...this is brendasue signing off from Rainbow Creek. See You next time! The Dog below is Rascal Roo. He is the brother of Fat Sissy. They were both rescue dogs from Hurricane Rita as 4 week old puppies. Anyway, Rascal wanted to audition for the Spot of Blog Star. (I hate to admit it, but nobody likes Fat Sissy). Rascal's only trick is he can out howl anybody as he was taught by the pure bred bloodhound, Kay.
See what You think: